Monday 19 November 2012

The Elective Cesarean Date

We went for the fetal anatomy scan on Friday.  I was, according to my calculated due date, 21 weeks and 3 days the day of the sonar.  I am not so sure if this is 100% correct.  I keep having the feeling that I am further along already, but luckily the doctor is sticking to the due date being the 26th of March.  The baby is already 500grams, with long arms and legs.  We could see the little face so clearly even though it was only a 2D sonar and it just made me fall in love with this new little member of our family so much more!  I cannot wait to see him for the first time, and hold him.  I think that I will have a lot of hard work and little sleep ahead of me, but for now I just want to stay blissfully ignorant of what is to come and savor this wonderful feeling of excitement.

After the scan the doctor asked me if I had decided on baby's birthday yet, and I blinked at him in confusion.  Then he continued to say that I will be having a cesarean this time and we normally book a cesarean 10 days before due date....it was like we never even had a conversation about this two months ago.  Fair enough the doctor cannot remember everything about all his patients but I thought he would have made a note of what we had discussed.  Did he not take me seriously.  Anyway, I was adamant that baby should stay in until 40 weeks and luckily Dad backs me 100%.  I then, again, asked the question about trying for vaginal birth should I go into labour naturally before this decided date.  This time he sounded like he did not support it at all and completely advised against it.  Dad was also a bit blind-sited and very suprised at my question as he thought that we had decided and agreed that cesarean was safer!  What on earth?  Am I living in my own little world here?  I wasn't upset with anyone or anything, I just felt a little put out that now, should I do into labour I will definitely have a cesarean anyway.  Look for some reason I don't think the chances of that happening before 40 weeks is very good but still, it is now a change of mind set for me now again, and one that I am not sure that I am comfortable or happy with.  

I asked the Dr if I need to book the cesarean date with his secretary and he said not to worry he will sort that out with the maternity ward, and sort of brushed it off. Which is suspicious to me because last time I had to arrange for the induction a week prior with his secretary.  She then phoned the maternity ward and booked.  Perhaps elective cesareans work differently.  Will he try and convince me otherwise closer to date to have the cesarean earlier?  Al of a sudden I am feeling very unsure of my gynea.  We have so much going on a the moment and I have had my fare share of stress so far so I really now don't want to worry about this now also.  Come a year after baby is born I really don't want to wish like I had done things differently, I want to be completely at peace with how things happened and fell into place.

You know what, I  am only 22 weeks along now, I still have lots of time, and right now I have got a good care giver that can take care of me and baby now.


No comments:

Post a Comment