Wednesday 7 November 2012

The Halfway Mark

I am halfway with my pregnancy now, and we found out that we are having a boy this time! :-)  We are of course very happy with that - one of each - and I am so excited about having this baby that I almost want to start packing my hospital bag already!

With regards to VBAC, I continue thinking about it, following and contributing to the forum that I have mentioned before, even though I do not agree with a lot of things that these uninformed women believe and come up with.  Some are are having successful VBAC's, others are having to book elective cesareans, oh you know, whatever works out for that person's pregnancy.  There are no guarantees, that I learnt very quickly.  I am definitely not as obsessed about this as I was when I just found out that I was pregnant 15 weeks ago.

I do however still feel very strongly about the fact that this baby needs to stay inside until 40 weeks.  I just really hope that my gynecologist allows this.  I realised that I don't really have Dad's full support for VBAC, which was actually not that much of a surprise.  He is very skeptical about it, which I completely understand. Point is that if my gynecologist insists that I have an elective cesarean before 40 weeks for whatever reason, I don't know if I will have it in me to argue, especially if Dad is on the Dr's side as well.  I know he just wants me - most importantly - and then the baby to be safe.  Which is exactly what I want too.  Basically if this little one decides to come on his own before the 26th of March 2013 I would like to try and have a normal birth, but with careful medical supervision.  Anything after that I would like to book a cesarean.  I am not playing the waiting game again just to have a cesarean.  Plus it becomes more dangerous, statistically, after 40 weeks gestation.  I do know for sure that I don't want to force anything that is not going to happen on it's own.  I don't need to traumatise every one involved.

I also only have 4 month's maternity leave this time as well as whatever part of March is left when the baby comes.  That is why, all going well, I want to work literaly until the day before I have the baby.  Another reason why I don't want to go overdue - that will make the time in March that I have with my new little on so much shorter every day that I wait.  That said though, I really don't think that the Dr will allow any waiting.  We haven't discussed anything further with regards to VBAC and going to 40 weeks, but I don't feel the need to.  I don't want to obsessively and continuously talk about it, there are too many unknowns.  It will come up again when it has to closer to date.  Perhaps this time baby might be breech or some other complication could arise and decide for us what the safest way of delivery is...you never know.






No comments:

Post a Comment