Monday 27 August 2012

The Doula That Gave Birth

I was having a look around on other Forums on moomies.co.za and came across 'Birth Stories in the Making' with a thread 'Anina is in Labour!'  I figured out that Anina is the doula who answered my last question on the VBAC support forum.  This is a Forum on which you can tell your birth stories.  You can post from when you go into labour to when the baby is out and after & post pictures and everything.  I read Anina's thread with interest.

Somewhere in the middle of the thread they posted to say that they broke her waters & there was meconium in the amniotic fluid & that baby was in distress.  I always thought this was a real worry because if the baby swallowed this there is big problems & it means that baby is stressing so much that it's tummy started going!  They just later posted baby is no longer in distress.  Huh?  I don't know enough about how and when the call for an emergency is made.

This is the last bit that she posted after giving birth & while telling her birth story:

This is where things started going a bit pear shaped, I dilated fully and docter came to deliver baby. He is great and all for natural, don't get me wrong, but he believes in purple pushing.

So my way was not working to great and I was starting to feel nervous as I could see he wasn't to pleased with my breathing thing. The next thing I knew, I decided to push and with 3 or 4 pushes, baby was out. But giving up my hypnobirthing breathing made me unsure of myself and that made it impossible to not feel pain, so yes, the last 10 mins did hurt. I tore a bit, but its not as bad as with my first son. 

So at 10:40 am my little girl was born the way (almost) that nature intended it to be. I was a bit disappointed about the pushing at the end, but all in all, it was a great experience. 

Interesting that even though she had a labour and birth as natural as they come she still uses the word disappointed.  I don't know what "born the way (almost) that nature intended it to be" even means.
Seems that perhaps some women will always find fault no matter what birth experience they have & will always have wanted it different somehow.  Perhaps it is more about feeling in control and having a sense of empowerment more than it is about the actual birth.  This is just a theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment